Sunday, July 29, 2007

Will he run or won't he?

Contrary to what you might have guessed, I am not talking about Fred Thompson. No, Newt Gingrich is the more interesting name. He seems more and more critical of the Republicans for "not getting it". I think he had little intent of running 2 months ago. Now, I am not sure.

Gingrich can sit on Fox news spouting platitudes and still be on any republican's short list for VP candidates.

But VP is not the Presidency. Most VPs never become president. I think previously he might have looked at the landscape and said that the direct path to the Presidency was not possible. But now, it just might be. I think the general mood with the republican faithful may be getting tired of not seeing a committment from Thompson. If Gingrich declares I think he could steal much if not all of Thompson's thunder as savior of the conservatives' hopes for the 2008 campaign.

He might squeeze in if it is a 3 man race between him, Guliani, and Romney. If it comes down to that, he has a good shot. If he gets into a presidential campaign vs. hillary Clinton, I am not prepared to say Clinton walks away with that.

Can Gingrich continue to resist the temptation?

No comments: